Q. I would like to lighten my hair color slightly. Is it okay to use with natural hair? What are some pros and cons of using henna and where can I purchase it?
A. Yes, you can use henna to color your natural hair. There are several pros and cons to consider when using Henna.
A Few Pros:
- Henna can make your hair stronger because it bonds with the Keratin in your hair strands. Keratin–is protein found in hair.
- Henna is natural. If properly applied henna is not harmful to the hair and scalp.
A Few Cons:
- Henna should be applied by a professional because it can be very messy, time consuming and awkward to apply
- Once henna is applied to your hair, you should not use a chemical hair dye on the hair that has been colored with henna. You have to let the henna grow out before applying chemical dye.
Pro or Con:
- In some cases, henna will permanently slightly relax your natural curl pattern.
Henna can be purchased at your local health food store and some beauty supply stores.